Vehicles running on petrol can be converted to bi-fuel. Conversion takes six to eight hours and doesn’t require any engine modification. Bi-fuel vehicles run on NGV and petrol, stored in separate tanks.
This new type of vehicle transportation fuel is a compressed natural gas (CNG) derived from the UAE’s natural gas reserve. Natural gas does not under undergo sophisticated chemical refining like crude oil, but rather simpler gas processing. This processed natural gas is then supplied to our service stations where it gets compressed.
Selected ADNOC service stations are supplied with natural gas and are equipped with a compressor, which can change natural gas to CNG. After that, CNG is stored in a storage unit. The storage unit is connected to a dispenser. There are two types of dispensers – some refuel vehicles directly and some refuel trailers only, which – in their turn – transport CNG to other stations, for vehicle refuelling.
What are the NGV benefits?
- It’s cleaner than petrol: NGV highly reduces tailpipe emissions
|Emissions||Emission Reduction %|
|Carbon Dioxide||20 – 30 %|
|Carbon monoxide||50 – 80 %|
|Nitrogen oxides||25 – 60 %|
|Non-methane hydrocarbon||50 – 75 %|
- It’s safer than petrol: in case of car accidents, NGV has a lower flammability degree due to higher ignition temperature and lighter weight than petrol
- Lower maintenance cost than petrol: you will only require two types of servicing: an annual gas system test (visual inspection costing approximately AED150-200) and a 20,000km inspection (covered by 1.5 years or 60,000km warranty)
- Enables longer life of your vehicle and its machinery. Your engine oil, spark plugs and exhaust system last longer with NGV
5 NGV safety rules
- Do not attempt “self filling”
- Do not smoke
- Turn off your phone
- Turn off your engine
- Follow any safety instructions given by the attendant
Vehicles running on petrol can be converted to bi-fuel by third party suppliers in conversion workshops. Conversion takes six-eight hours, doesn’t require any engine modification, and its key components are CNG cylinder, regulator & injection system, pipeline. Bi-fuel vehicles run on NGV and petrol, stored in separate tanks.
- Conversion services: two operators carry out conversion from petrol to bi-fuel, namely Emirates Transport and Corea Automobile Gas System LLC services: TUV Rheinland monitors and tests all converted vehicles in conversion centres, then issues certification and releases the vehicle, in accordance with ECE R110-115 and ESMA guidelines.
Conversion workshops location
|1||Khalifa City (A)||766||AD|
Service stations that supply NGV
|1||Khalifa City A||766||AD|
|2||Khalifa City B (Al Ghurrah)||993||AD|
|3||Souq Al Batin||969||AD|
|5||Samha Rest Area (South East)||887||AD|
|9||Mussafah Car Care Centre||892||AD|
|10||Al Dhafra (Al Saiya)||949||AD|
|11||Al Khaleej Al Arabi||796||AD|
|15||Yas Island 2 (North)||688||AD|
|16||Al Faya Rest Area||891||AD|
|17||Batha Al Hayer||850||AA|
|20||Al Ruwais Industry||976||WR|
- 5 NGV Safety Rules 659 KB